Welcome to meal time. Sometimes it's a little bit fun (insert sarcasm). Its always hectic, but it's never pretty. Food usually ends up on me, all over them, and definitely all over the floor and their high chairs.
Here they are at dinner last night. I made them some scrambled eggs with cheese, toast (because sometimes all I can get them to eat are eggs and toast), and some peas. Morgan was the only one who ate the peas. Sophia and Rachel just tossed theirs on the floor. Stinkers! I ended up giving them baby food squash so they'd have a veggie.
Here is the aftermath.... I have to wipe 6 hands and 3 faces up after each meal. I even had to take Sophia and Rachel's pants off because they were covered in food. That pile in the bottom right is the pile I had swept up before taking this picture. Oh the insanity. Hahaha...
This was after I spent about 20 minutes cleaning the chairs, floor, and trays. We're all ready for the next day so we can do it all over again.......3 times! I used to laugh when I'd watch (gasp) Jon and Kate +8. Kate used to say she would sweep and mop 3 times a day, and I thought she was crazy. Now I do it too....well, not the mopping part. I only spot mop once a day!
Feeding the girls usually stresses me out a bit. It's hard getting them to try new foods. I feel like we're in a food rut. I feed them the same things over and over because they reject about 95% of anything new. Yesterday, I was out and about at lunch time and I decided to stop and pick up a kids meal from Chick-Fil-A. (Even though I'm not crazy about them eating fast food, but there is a first time for everything and I was desperate.) What kiddo wouldn't like waffle french fries and some chicken nuggets right? That's right! MY kids! Rachel wouldn't touch it (no surprise there really). Sophia ate a bit of one fry and then threw the rest on the floor. Morgan gagged on her fries and spit them out. No one would touch the chicken. I ended up feeding them yogurt, fruit, and cereal. I give up.
So at dinner tonight, I made them a new recipe. Porcupine Meatballs. A week ago, they were eating my meatloaf like it was going out of style, so I thought for sure they would like the meatballs. Plus, they have rice in them so double bonus for a grain as well as protein. Well, as you would guess, Rachel wouldn't touch it and gagged when my mom tried to feed her some. Morgan spit it out... I don't think Morgan likes meat so much yet. Sophia chowed down on them, stuffing so much in her mouth that she freaked me out. She loved it though so I'm a happy Mama.! They also had some green beans to go along with their meatballs. Morgan really liked them as well as Sophia. Rachel.... Well, we ended up feeding her baby food. I gave up! (I think this pay back for all the times my mom had to make me peanut butter and jelly as a child since I pretty much refused anything she would cook...and she is a great cook!)
I'm just glad my mom was here again to help me with dinner. Dinner time has become the hardest part of my day. Bob is still at work when the girls eat. It's almost too much to either cook, heat up, or prepare their dinner when I'm alone. I can do it. I do it by myself most weekdays, it's just not easy at all. Then the mess..... OH THE MESS.... Ugh!
I'm just thankful for implementing TV hour after dinner. It allows me to clean up and it gets me to their bedtime with my sanity still somewhat intact.
Any toddler food suggestions for picky eaters are welcome!


No comments:
Post a Comment