Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rachel has Pneumonia

Sophia and Rachel have had a cough since last Friday. It seemed to get better over the weekend and then got worse again on Monday. Suddenly yesterday, Rachel developed a fever. I noticed she wasn't being herself that morning. She didn't want to eat, and she was just sitting in a corner with her eyes all glassy. I had changed her diaper an hour before the fever came. She had felt fine. When I noticed her just sitting in the corner, poor baby was just burning up with a temp of 102.5.

I tried giving her tylenol, but since I have to hide it either in food or a drink, she wouldn't take it because she just didn't want anything. I worried that her fever was too high so I was determined to get some Tyelnol in her. I ended up feeling like the worst mother in the world because I tried to force it on her and she threw up. I put her down for a nap and called the advice nurse at our pediatrician's office. She was concerned and decided to have our doctor call us. He was concerned that she might have some sort of infection since she developed a fever a few days into her "cold."

So my sister came over to babysit Morgan and Sophia and I headed to the doctor with Rachel. By this time, poor Rachel was miserable and her fever had even gone up. While Dr. A was checking her ears, and listening to her lungs, she was so upset and ended up throwing up all over my leg. Oh well, that's part of motherhood, right?

He didn't find anything wrong with her ears and her lungs sounded okay to him. However, he had a suspicion that she may still have pneumonia so he sent us down the hall for an x-ray.  She did better than I thought she would during the x-ray. It was over pretty fast, so that was good.

We went back to the exam room and Dr. A came in and confirmed that she does have a mild case of pneumonia in her right lung. I was shocked. She was literally running all over the house the day before.

It's been difficult getting her antibiotics into her. As we all know, Rachel has issues with anything going into her mouth. There is NO WAY that she allows us to put a medicine dropper in there. I've tried and she throws up every time. I was able to mix it in with her yogurt yesterday. Today was a different story. She had no appetite almost all day. For breakfast, we mixed the meds into her milk. She only drank half of it. I ended up giving her a little bit more in some yogurt for lunch. After lunch, I couldn't get her to eat or drink anything for the rest of the day. I was pretty sure that I'd have to bring her back to the pedi's office for a shot. He had said that if she won't take her meds, that we'll have to have it injected into her. Finally, tonight around 9pm, she woke up and I was able to get her to eat a little with her meds.  I hope she will want to eat and drink tomorrow. I worry about my little peanut!

She did do a little better today with her energy at least. Her fever was down around 100 ish so that was better. I'm very thankful that Sophia's cough is better and she never got a fever. Morgan, so far, is healthy as can be! Let's hope she stays that way.

This has been a LONG week. I've barely had a few hours of sleep each night. As I type this, Sophia is awake and fussing. She has been waking up several times a night lately. Combine that with Rachel being sick and UGH for me and trying to sleep.

So I'm off to go tend to my sweeties. Hopefully, I can get Sophia back to sleep.

Ps... I'm not reading this to proof read so if I sound like a dumb a$$, I'm too sleepy to care. Oh and I almost forgot to mention that my sister rocks. When Rachel and I came home from the pedi's office, she had washed my dishes and cleaned the play room. I have the bestest sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment