We had some very unusual weather today. I should have taken some pictures of the dark clouds that were over our house.
When we all went down for nap around 1pm.. (and I say "we" because I was sleeping too), it was just lightly raining. I woke up around 3:30 to some seriously loud thunder. Then my phone rang. It was my sister, who told me to get up and turn on the news. There was a tornado warning for our county and apparently a small tornado had touched down about 30-45 miles away. I know this seems like nothing for people who live in tornado alley, but this is northern CA. This doesn't happen here!
I got the girls up and we all went downstairs. I looked out the window and saw clouds darker than I'd ever seen before. Well... okay, I've seen dark clouds like this before, but that was when I was in Nebraska and not my own home!
It was hard to hear the news reports over the girls. They kept asking for Barney or Elmo and Yo Gabba Gabba, but I wasn't about to change the channel. We don't have tornado sirens here. The news was my only link to what was going on. (Yes, I'm laughing at me too!) I wouldn't have been so freaked out if an actual tornado didn't touch down last week and destroy a barn/farmhouse not too far from here. I started formulating a plan in my head as to what I would do if something actually touched down in our neighborhood. I decided that I'd tell the girls we were going to go wash our hands. They love washing their hands and pretty much run into the bathroom when I say "let's go wash our hands." The downstairs bathroom would have been the safest place for us to hide.
Thankfully, the storm passed after about 45 minutes. We had thunder so loud though, and it really scared Sophia and Rachel (and me too, a little). Morgan doesn't seem to mind loud noises, but the other two.... they just can't take it. They wouldn't move from where they were sitting on the couch. Poor girls! They did learn two new words today though... "hail" and "thunder."
I finally ended up changing the channel to one of their shows. What better way to spend a rainy/stormy afternoon. I snapped this picture of Morgan and Sophia. Sophia is all curled up on the floor with a "kankett." That's her word for blanket.
I'm really thankful that the storm didn't actually create any tornadoes here. Still, those were some scary freaky looking clouds! I can't imagine what it's like living in an area where you have to worry about tornadoes. Ugh...
As of now, the rain has passed and shouldn't be back at all tonight. I can sleep soundly.


No comments:
Post a Comment