Saturday, September 18, 2010

I smell like curry and other stuff

I really do smell like curry.

I just returned from a fabulous girls night out with some of my friends. We sat in an Indian restaurant for over 2 hours. I really should change my clothes. I can still smell my dinner. Maybe it's my breath haha. Oh well. I had such a great time, it's worth it to reek of curry.

So much has been going on over the past week. I don't know where to begin. 

I just realized I never did an "18 month update" about the girls' recent well baby (or um technically well toddler) appointment. For every check up, I fill out a questionnaire for each one of the girls regarding their development. There's always a list of questions like, "Does your child stack at least 3 blocks," and "Does your child say more than 5 words?" You know, developmental questions. For the first time at one of these check ups, I had to answer "no" to a lot of the questions. I've been around other little ones their age, so I knew we were a little behind. I was so happy when their pediatrician decided to refer us to the county development program to be evaluated in ALL aspects of development. I've been trying to get the girls into this program for months, but I was told that because our insurance covered certain therapies, they couldn't see the girls without a referral. Well, we GOT the referral! 

So last week,we had a couple of days of evaluations on the girls (just two hours in the mornings). The therapists came to our house, which was awesome. I can't imagine trying to get them all somewhere for something like this without meltdowns. The speech evaluation was cancelled because the therapist was sick, so we'll be rescheduling that one. 

The first day was pretty rough for me. I had to watch my sweet little girls pretty much fail most of the tests the therapist did. The tests were pretty simple. For example, she had three coffee cups and hid a ball underneath one of them. They were supposed to lift the cup and find the ball. Rachel grabbed two cups and ran off into the corner and banged them together. Morgan picked up a cup and tried to eat it, and Sophia copied Rachel and took two cups and banged them together. Another task was to put these round pegs into a hole. Rachel took the peg and ran off. Morgan kept handing the peg to Amy, our therapist, in her "you do it" motion. Sophia just took the peg and banged it against the piece of wood that the holes were cut in. They did pass some of the tests, like being able to get into a toddler chair and sit down. Sophia almost scribbled with a pencil. I thought they didn't pass most of the tests because I haven't shown them how to do these things before. However, Amy told me that these are all tasks that a 19 month should be able to pick up and do after being shown once. There were other skills tested that I'm not going to list. The girls scored so much lower than I thought they would. 

I thought we were only 3-4 months behind. Turns out it's much more than that. For fine motor skills, Rachel is at a 10 month old level and Sophia and Morgan are at an 11 month old level. They scored around 15 and 17 months in other areas, but I can't remember what the name of those areas are. I didn't write anything down and I was too busy trying to hold back tears because I felt like I've failed my children by not teaching them more. I'm over that now though. I know this isn't my fault. I know that it's very common for multiples to need therapy in certain areas. Besides, the fact that we are so far behind gets us 100 percent approved for the therapy. I'm so thankful that this is finally happening for us. I've known we've needed some help for quite some time. I feel incredibly blessed to know that we're going to have so much support. I have several friends who have gone through this program and give it rave reviews. I'm so thankful that we're in the process of getting started. I just feel at peace now knowing that the girls are in such good hands. I know we'll catch up soon. 

Other than all the development stuff this week, I've still been trying to find the right contractor for the right price to do the work in our bathrooms and kitchen. One of our friends who does tile is hopefully coming soon to put a bid in. I had one contractor come on Thursday last week. He took a bunch of measurements, but hasn't gotten back to me on the price yet. I just want to get this work done. Shopping for someone to do it has not been fun at all. 

School has also been keeping me on my toes. I am kicking myself for taking two classes while trying to take care of the girls too. I didn't realize that even though I don't work full time outside the home, I still work full time (you know....running my own day care! haha).  So this has been like working full time and going to school!  My Anthropology class is kicking my butt. It's boring to me so I really have no interest. I have a test next week and I'm totally freaked out over it. I spent almost 5 hours at the library today studying, which I must say........was pretty awesome. I got to sit in a quiet room for hours! Today was my first time going to our local library and I absolutely loved it!  I did feel super old though. They have several "quiet study rooms" that are separated with glass windows. I can honestly say I was the only one over 30 who was using one of the rooms to study. I think everyone else was 19 haha! Oh well. When I was 19, I was the worst student ever. Sometimes I get frustrated that I didn't go to college when I was younger, but that was no one's fault but my own. I'm proud of myself for going back now! Anyway, I think I'm going to enjoy my Saturdays at the library. I spend the entire other 6 days a week with the girls. It's not going to hurt them if Mommy goes to the library for 5 hours on the weekends! 

With all that said.....wow, it's getting late. Time to get some much needed sleep. Oh and I must admit that I had to stop and take a shower before finishing this entry because.....even my hair smelled funky! Who can sleep if they stink? I can't!

1 comment:

  1. glad to hear the girls are going to get the help they need, tho it's scary to hear your kids are behind... the twins are going to start speach therapy, and based on how much they talk vs Lilly, i've GOT to ask about it at her 2yr appointment on thursday :( She's not exactly ahead of them.

    when i have a chance, I'll post an update.. the 24/7 nursing with a 2yr old is kicking my butt, and i'm doing a craft fair in 2 weeks to sell my taggie blankets so i've got to get a bunch more made. miss you, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete