Monday, February 22, 2010

The Great Nap Debate


Over the last few weeks, it has been getting harder and harder for me to get the girls down for morning nap. Their first morning wake time varies between about 5:30 and 6:30am. If they wake up closer the 5:30, they will go down for their 9am nap with no problems at all. They'll be out within 5 minutes of me putting them down. If they are nice to mommy and sleep in until 6:30am, they almost refuse the morning nap.

For example....because you knew I had a reason for this rant/post. haha... This morning, three happy little talking babies pleasantly woke me up at 6:35am. They made no sense whatsoever, but they were deep in conversation with each other. Great way to wake up. So cute! So, I put them down at 9am for their first nap of the day. Yeah.... that was 45 minutes ago.

Morgan is playing the "let's see how many times I can throw my paci out of my crib so mommy will come back and give it back to me (read: play with me)."

Sophia has turned the volume up to the LOUDEST setting on her crib soother and is currently kicking the crap out of it and laughing.

Rachel is walking on her knees back and forth in her crib saying shay shay shay shay... which is her new favorite sound.

A couple of weeks before their birthday party, which I had strategically planned to be BETWEEN morning and afternoon naps, the girls started refusing their morning nap. The days they took the nap, they wouldn't fall asleep until closer to 10am. I wasn't about to change their nap schedule when the invitations for their 11am party had already gone out. Then after their birthday, they started going down at 9am like clock work again. At that point, I decided...okay they must still need this morning nap.

Today??? Hmmm.... I'm really rethinking this. I know babies' schedules always need to change as soon as they start working. haha... It seems like every time I get too comfy with their schedule, its time to change it. Today is not a good day to skip morning nap. We need to run to the pharmacy to pick up some cream and medication for Morgan's eczema. I don't need anyone falling asleep in the van and ruining afternoon nap. ARRGHHH!

Its so hit or miss lately that I'm not sure what to do. I try to treat them as individuals, but with triplets and napping....not so easy to do. So if one or two of them are ready to stop morning nap, but the third isn't...we have a problem. I can't have three babies on three different schedules. I don't think any mother of triplets could function with that.

I guess I have to play the ......Hmm..Let's wait and see how this week goes game! I think one nap a day might give us more flexibility for outings anyway, which makes me say... Me likey!

And as always...any tips or advice is welcome!

And if anyone is wondering why I've all of a sudden started updating this more often... well.. I've really missed blogging the random happenings around here. It seems like all I've ever done is complain about the lack of sleep and how tired I am/was. Well, I'm pretty much out of the fog.... Rachel has been sleeping through the night like a champ lately and we're ALL happier for it. The clouds have lifted and I no longer feel like a zombie! So... I'm going to try and update this more often. I have a lot to talk about and now I think I have the energy and time to do so!

AND...I think the girls win this one. They've been in their cribs for one hour and no one is asleep. Wonder how I'm going to get out to the pharmacy today. Yowza!!!

Score so far..... Babies 3pts, Mommy ZERO!

No comments:

Post a Comment