Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Random facts about having triplets...

A lot of people ask me how we do this. Not many people know someone who has triplets so they really don't know what all goes into having three babies at once. How many diapers do we go through? How do we feed three little mouths? Do we have three of everything?....and so on..... I'm going to give you a little glimpse into life with triplets.......

Diapers you ask? At first we were going through a pack of preemie or newborn diapers a day. That was around $70 a week in diapers! Now....we go through about 20 diapers a day. I've also switched to store brand diapers because I refuse to pay the Pampers price. I've used Pampers and to me, they are no better than the store brand ones I buy. My favorite are the Walgreens store brand and the new Up and Up Target brand. Both run about 15 cents per diaper which just totally rocks my world! People close to me say I am OBSESSED with diapers. I admit it. I really am!

Formula? A fellow triplet mom in my area put me in contact with a local Similac rep who has supplied us with some free formula. I get shipments once a month and this should last another 2-3 months. This free formula feeds the girls for about two weeks. Otherwise, I use the Costco store brand. I once heard that the Costco store brand was really Enfamil. However, the Similac rep told me that its actually Similac advance packaged as the Kirkland brand. She said they mix it and package it through a contract with Costco. I had no idea really. I knew Costco did that with most of their store brand products....but this is just perfect for me. I'm not the type that has to use brand name anything, but still. So our costs have been cut in this dept. Its still super expensive as we go through a can a day, but it's much less than what we were paying.

Baby food... No, I do not make our own baby food. I realize that this could save us money and blah blah blah. But the simple fact is...I HAVE TRIPLETS!! Who has time to make baby food? I don't even have time to shower most days. I smell like a trucker half the time! And speaking of baby food...... We've moved on to the Stage two Gerber foods (or sometimes the Target store brand depending on sales)... the girls are loving their food. We tried just about all the fruits and veggies. When they are 8 months old, I might have them try the stage two meals that have meat mixed in. Not sure yet...but WOW...I just realized they are almost 8 months old!

Moving on....

Assembly line... In our house, its all about the assembly line. I just do one baby at a time for everything from diaper changes to baths and getting dressed. Sometimes, after I'm done bathing and getting ONE baby dressed....I think those singleton moms have it so easy. They would be done. Not me...I have to do it two more times. But I know I'm blessed to do it two more times. I am, however, jealous of those little strollers you people get to use.

Speaking of strollers... I now have a collection. I have three (yes THREE) triple strollers. Its a sickness. It really is. I started out with a smaller triplet stroller.... meaning one that folds easily and isn't as spacious as it could be. Its a Norfolk triple. They only made these in 2006 and you can't buy them anymore. I got mine used from Craigslist. (Its kind of like the Baby Trend triple, but much better quality.) I also have a Peg Perego triple stroller. At first I loved that it is more spacious than my Norfolk. Also, it is much more comfortable for the girls. I'm not loving this stroller though. Its an older Peg... meaning no steering wheel like the new ones...also.. you have to remove the seats in order to fold the stroller. So I have the frame, and then three seats that I have to take apart and put back together every single time I use it. Its a pain in the behind! I'm going to keep using it though... because.. A. I got it for $150 which is a steal! and B. It really is the most comfy stroller I have for the kiddos! I also have my Q Series Triple Jogger which I LOVE!!!!! Best stroller ever. Can't be used in malls or stores, but its great for outside. I'm not done yet... I also have a single stroller.. and YES, we've used it..ONCE! haha... and then I have my coveted Step 2 Choo Choo Wagon. All of these strollers and my choo choo was a total of $575. Most people can't even buy a used Triple Peg stroller for $575 so I am quite proud of myself for how cheap I found all of this stuff!

So how many times do you run your dishwasher each day? Around here... we run ours TWICE! Once for bottles since they take up so much space. Those Dr. Brown's bottles have so many parts, but I LOVE these bottles. Then we run it another time to wash actual dishes. Its a pain, but it is what it is. Oh and I'm really starting to love our crock pot. I have been using it so much lately. Seems like its the only way to get a decent meal on the table.

Oh and do we have three of everything? Well, we have three cribs of course. We also started out with three bouncy seats, three Boppy pillows... Hmmm...I have two Bumbos...wish I had three, but since the girls are mostly sitting on their own, we don't need another one now. Two exersaucers and one jumperoo. Oh and two swings. We did also have three of the play/kicking gyms, but we've outgrown those. (Notice I say WE.... because yes... I've decided I'm one of the triplets. haha kidding... but I'm a part of it all so there..I say WE!)

Do NOT ask me if the triplets are natural. I will personally kick the rear of anyone asking that. Seriously... we have had the nicest comments in public as well as some rude ones. I actually had a woman in Target one day tell me to "admit it, you did IVF like that octomom didn't you?"I wanted to run her down with my giant stroller! Next time someone asks me if the babies are natural, I might ask them if their boobs are natural!!!!

And finally... How do I get through each day? Without our wonderful volunteers, I would be toast! Seriously. We are so thankful that even though our girls are 6 months old, we still have 5 volunteers (who I now call friends instead of volunteers) coming in two days a week to help me. Also, my mom and sister always come anytime I need a nap or just need the help! We are so blessed to have wonderful family and friends who are continuing to help us so much!

So that's my randomness for tonight. Rachel was a little fussy so I was up...but she has settled down so I am going to go get some shut eye myself while I can.

Also..not proof reading this so just a warning that I may look like an idiot in this entry!

2 comments:

  1. I'm still really impressed that you can sustain the lives of THREE babies all at once :)

    but go check on the board, momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you write to Gerber, they'll send you coupons (and I think spoons) for the food. Beachnut, I think, will do the same. I probably still have my coupons, but they're probably expired. I made all my own baby food for the triplets, because it's pretty hard to find kosher baby food other than fruits, so I didn't bother with any of it. It's super-quick and easy to make, but I totally understand why you don't. (I didn't get a lot of showers back then either - though by then I was working, so I had to shower occasionally).

    ReplyDelete