The class is a state requirement so that we can continue Rachel's food therapy sessions. Her eating therapist, Stephanie, thinks that her issues are 50% sensory/oral issues and 50% learned behavior. So we need to bring in a behaviorist so that we don't do the wrong activities to help Rach learn to eat more foods. I'm learning so much about where a lot of her behaviors may be coming from and how to handle them. I'm really looking forward to the home visit with the behaviorist so we can start moving forward with all of this. The sensory/oral side of Rachel's food issues, and all the problems she has eating and accepting texture, are all signs of autism. Because she used to frequently go to "Rachel land" and not participate in any of the therapy sessions, she is still being watched for signs of autism. It's been really confusing. She has a total of 5 therapists that see her on a weekly basis. 4 of them used to think she may be somewhere on the autism spectrum. However, she recently started to participate and engage with us and really show such improvement with her communication. So we're not thinking she's on the spectrum anymore. Stephanie still thinks that it's a possibility because of the food issues. It's been a struggle for me. I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to have Rachel evaluated by a specialist. Bob and I haven't made that decision yet. We just don't see the immediate need for it anymore. Thankfully, we live near one of the top autism research centers in the country, so if we need to have her evaluated, we won't have to go far. We don't have to worry about whether or not she will qualify to be tested. It's already been approved by our case worker so all we have to do is make the decision. I'm so thankful that our state has this wonderful beneficial program for children who have developmental delays. I don't know what we would do without these services.
Other than the food issues, the girls have made so much progress that it is simply unbelievable. Amy, one of their OT's, said that she is seeing the girls do things and say words that she didn't expect them to be doing for at least another 3-6 months. She says she is constantly having to come up with new things for them to do because they are learning so fast. Hearing that just made my heart smile. Sophia is asking for help when she needs it and is saying phrases like, all done, shoes on, and it's a cow. She says something new every day. She's really big on... It's a dog, it's a shoe, it's a whatever! She likes to label everything she can. Rachel is even using the phrase and signing properly for all done. She lets me know she's "all done" every time I try to brush her teeth, because you know..... the toothbrush has to go in her mouth and she hates anything in her mouth. Morgan is repeating everything and has a memory like you wouldn't believe. There's an episode of Barney where they learn about fire safety. The kids on the tv all crawl on the ground so Morgan does too. It's the cutest thing. It's been such a blessing that they are able to express their needs and communicate with me more. I love watching them learn or say something new each day.
So that's it for the therapy update. I am bummed that we are all sick this week. I had to cancel 5 therapy sessions, which make our days at home a lot longer! I think the girls and I could really use an outing. Too bad I still don't have the energy. We're hoping to hit the zoo this weekend, but we shall see how we're all feeling! Next week, we'll be right back on our busy schedule!
Oh and I never mentioned it, but I caved and took one class this semester. It probably wasn't my brightest idea, but I realized that if I quit now, I'm not sure when I'll ever finish. It's just ONE class this time. Sociology. It's not that difficult. I'm in week 3 and doing just fine! I'm such a glutton for punishment, aren't I? Okay, sleepy time! Don't know why I always stay up so late.
Other than the food issues, the girls have made so much progress that it is simply unbelievable. Amy, one of their OT's, said that she is seeing the girls do things and say words that she didn't expect them to be doing for at least another 3-6 months. She says she is constantly having to come up with new things for them to do because they are learning so fast. Hearing that just made my heart smile. Sophia is asking for help when she needs it and is saying phrases like, all done, shoes on, and it's a cow. She says something new every day. She's really big on... It's a dog, it's a shoe, it's a whatever! She likes to label everything she can. Rachel is even using the phrase and signing properly for all done. She lets me know she's "all done" every time I try to brush her teeth, because you know..... the toothbrush has to go in her mouth and she hates anything in her mouth. Morgan is repeating everything and has a memory like you wouldn't believe. There's an episode of Barney where they learn about fire safety. The kids on the tv all crawl on the ground so Morgan does too. It's the cutest thing. It's been such a blessing that they are able to express their needs and communicate with me more. I love watching them learn or say something new each day.
So that's it for the therapy update. I am bummed that we are all sick this week. I had to cancel 5 therapy sessions, which make our days at home a lot longer! I think the girls and I could really use an outing. Too bad I still don't have the energy. We're hoping to hit the zoo this weekend, but we shall see how we're all feeling! Next week, we'll be right back on our busy schedule!
Oh and I never mentioned it, but I caved and took one class this semester. It probably wasn't my brightest idea, but I realized that if I quit now, I'm not sure when I'll ever finish. It's just ONE class this time. Sociology. It's not that difficult. I'm in week 3 and doing just fine! I'm such a glutton for punishment, aren't I? Okay, sleepy time! Don't know why I always stay up so late.


No comments:
Post a Comment