Saturday, March 31, 2012

Feeding Therapy Friday

I didn't end up posting anything about last week's therapy because it didn't differ from the week before. But this time, she did make a little bit of progress. Rachel didn't take a bite of anything new, but she did lick several new things. I don't even remember what the foods were that she put on her tongue. Well, one was a jelly bean. She also licked a peach yogurt melt. She will usually only eat the pink or purple yogurt melts, so I was glad to see her almost eat the peach ones.

It still amazes me that I get so excited about her just licking a food. The therapy is mostly playing with the foods. She is seated at a table and Julie talks about the food's shape, color, and texture. Then she kisses the food or licks it. Rachel was pretty receptive to the therapy this time, which is a change from the last two sessions. I was glad to see it.

Another good thing that happened over the last week is that Rachel is showing an interest in feeding herself with a spoon. I don't think I've even talked about this before, but she has never spoon fed herself. When I talk about how she will eat strawberry banana baby food, she isn't feeding herself like most three year old's would be. I'm still spoon feeding her. We've given her the spoon before countless times and she has never been interested in feeding herself. She will actually hold a spoon while I feed her, but has always become upset if that spoon gets food on it. Anyway, that all changed in the last couple of days. I was feeding her and she grabbed the spoon and put it in her mouth. Then she wanted to feed herself a couple of bites. I am so excited about this.

I don't remember if I have mentioned that she has needed to have a distraction while being fed too. Her distraction has always been a pencil and paper. She will draw while I get food into her mouth. This has been the only thing that has worked for us for months. Julie has suggested that we take all distractions that are not related to food away. So this past week, we've been giving her carrot or celery sticks to play with. I've also been offering the same foods I'm feeding Sophia and Morgan. Rachel will play with those foods and stab them with a fork. Of course they don't go near her mouth, but this is all progress for the little girl who would gag and practically throw up if you put food in front of her.

She is so interested in food. She almost ate some dried crunchy apple today. I can tell she is wanting to try something new. She will pick a new food up or point to it and say, "eat it" but then puts it down. I'm just glad that she is showing interest. I know her therapy is really helping her. It's just such a slow process that it can be really discouraging, but I do have faith that it is working.

It's still really difficult to watch my skinny minnie daughter only drink milk and hardly eat anything. Her hair is so thin and dry, and she has days where she has those awful dark circles under her eyes. I wonder if it's because she isn't getting the proper nutrition. I'm sure it probably is. She does get a multi vitamin, but I wish I could get her to drink pediasure. It's so frustrating and I worry about her every day.

 So prayer warriors..... I need you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment