Today was one of those days that I thought I wasn't going to make it.
Every third Wednesday, my multiples group has a coffee chat/play date. I haven't been able to go lately because the girls have therapy Wednesday mornings. I really wanted to go today. The girls therapy isn't until 10:30 and the coffee chat starts at 9:30. I had the brilliant idea to go from 9:30-10am. I'd have plenty of time to get the girls home and ready for their 2 hours of therapy.
I should know better than to try and pull this off. My husband even looked at me like I was an insane person for even discussing the idea. I didn't listen.
I started getting us ready at 8:30. And by that, I mean getting them dressed, their hair brushed and pony tailed, and their shoes on and then trying to find a spare 5 minutes to put make up on and get dressed myself. You'd think this would only take a few minutes, but when I bring their clothes out they take them and run. Same with socks and shoes. Then usually when I'm done putting the third kid's shoes on, the first one already has them off.
You can see where this is going.
I needed to leave by 9:15. At about 9:20, I was putting Sophia's shoes on her. Well, I should really say...wrestling with Sophia to get her shoes on. She was fighting me every step of the way and ended up kicking me in the nose. That's what I get for trying to put her shoes on her when I'm sitting on the floor and she was on the couch. And to make it even more fun, I got a bloody nose. So I called my friend and told her that I wasn't going. She enticed with me with my favorite Starbucks drink and suddenly I was loading the girls into the van. Of course I had the wrong stroller in the van so I had to change that out as well.
I got there at about 9:45, which meant I had about 15 minutes to stay and chat. It felt like 5 minutes and I was leaving. Oh well.... better luck next time right? Nope!... I learned my lesson. No trying to be supermom on a day the girls have therapy.
As I was getting the girls out of the van in the garage, Sophia decided it would be a good time to touch the dirty/black dusty tire rims. She got it all over her cute tan pants and pink shirt and her hands. At this point, I had about 10 minutes to have the girls ready and relaxed for their 2 hour therapy session. I almost pulled it off. I had Rachel and Morgan ready, and Sophia was in just a diaper when Amy and Trish (our OT's) arrived. I had even gotten Sophia's clothes in the wash machine just didn't get new ones on her yet.
I have to admit I was crying when Amy and Trish showed up. It was...woe is me, this is so hard, my husband has been working 6 days a week, I'm exhausted, I need more help, I don't know how I'm doing this tears! It was just a day when I was so overwhelmed with everything.
Therapy went really good. We read books, we drew with chalk, played with the parachute, the activity balls and tunnel. The girls are so cute because they get so excited. The only part I am uncomfortable with is that Amy is keeping an eye on Rachel and watching her for signs of autism. Today was the second time she mentioned that some of the things Rachel does is similar to what autistic children do. She's 98% sure Rachel just has some sensory type issues and not autism. She just wants to be 100% sure. It's just once in a while, Rachel goes off into la la land and doesn't participate. She also doesn't warm up to the equipment and activities that we do in therapy. I know the possibility of Rachel being autistic is very slim to none, but it's still hard for me to hear what I am hearing. I'm focusing on the fact that she has shown amazing improvement in the past month or so.
They ended up taking a pretty good nap. I took a little cat nap myself. I was determined to have a better rest of the day. It's crazy how the morning sets the tone for the day. We had an "off" morning, which lead to a pretty fussy afternoon. As soon as the girls woke up, they started fighting over books, toys...you name it. They always want the same thing at the same time. Doesn't matter if I have three of something! So I turned to my trusty red monster friend, Elmo.
Then my mom called.... and the tears started flowing again as I told her about how stressed I was. Bet she LOVED that phone call!
When Elmo was over, I decided that Starbucks would make everything better. I loaded the girls up and we headed out. As we were driving, Sophia started to say, "light....light." When I got to a red light, I turned around to look at her and see what she was pointing at. She was pointing at the sun and squinting her eyes....saying "light light light." Only it sounds more like "ly-yeet" So precious pointing at the sun and saying that. She totally warmed my heart and made everything better............ until dinner time, but that's a whole other entry.
I think the reason I was so emotional today was because I've just been on my own with the girls so much lately and I need to get a little break. I'm behind in school, behind on housework..... and just can't seem to get my act together. Bob has been working way too much. The game he is creating for Facebook is really starting to wear me down. 6 days a week mostly alone with the girls is just difficult and this has been going on for months now. He's almost done so I know things will get better soon. It's just getting there that is the hard part.
I've rambled on way too long.... Time to get some sleep. Here's to a better tomorrow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I rarely comment but I've been reading your blog for some time now. I feel the same way and I only have two (not twins...). I know, you can laugh right now, because what you are describing is what I go through pretty much every day. Try to see if you can get a couple of hours to yourself? Maybe a friend can come over and watch them for a couple of hours??? I can't imagine how hard it is with triplets, but you're doing a great job.... Keep it up!
ReplyDelete