Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mama won a makeover!

A couple of months ago, my mothers of multiples group received the event information for the NCA Spring Convention. The theme was "Weekend in Paris." One of the events was a makeover for one lucky "MoM." To enter to win the makeover, you were to send a photo of yourself and include why you need a makeover. My good friends Claudine and Jennifer decided that I just had to win this makeover! At first I was reluctant, but then they talked me into it!
They quickly got to work on writing something unique about me so that my entry would stand out. Here is what they came up with. They wrote the story and then had me write the "about the mom" section.

If you give a MoM a makeover, she's going to need her friends to come to convention to see how fabulous she'll look.

So she'll go to get her phone, which is buried in her diaper bag. When she sees her diaper bag, it will remind her that she needs more diapers.

So she goes to her bedroom to look for her keys. When she's in her bedroom, she'll see the laundry on her bed and she'll remember that she's been wearing the same shirt for 3 days and needs to take a shower.

As she walks past the bathroom, she notices that there is no toilet paper on the roll and heads to the garage.

On her way to the garage she goes through the laundry room and she sees a pile of clothes and starts the washer. She tosses in her famous blue t-shirt which has been used as a tissue, hand towel, and burp cloth. Then she notices that the dogs need food and water so she feeds them.

When she feeds the dogs, she realizes that she's a little hungry too, so she goes into the kitchen to grab a snack. She sees the dishes in the sink and decides to wash those first.

When she's standing at the sink, she sees her reflection in the window and thinks, "boy, do I need a makeover!"

But if you give a MoM a makeover, she's going to need all her friends to come to convention to see how fabulous she'll look!

About the "MoM"


I'm Barbara, a fellow survivor of the first year as a mother to triplet girls. They just turned one on February 3rd and I may have made it, but it wasn't without damage. My hair lost its cut and hides in a pony tail, my fashion sense went out the door, and make up is only something I see other people wear. You can find me in the same jeans, yoga pants, and t-shirts day after day. I haven't been shopping for clothes since my last visit to Motherhood Maternity. I wouldn't know where to begin so I don't bother. Shortly after my girls were born, I searched my closet high and low for something that would fit my new post-triplets body. What I found is a blue t-shirt that I've apparently been wearing ever since. I didn't notice it until I started looking for "before" pictures to submit. Picture after picture, I see nothing but this shirt. I even wore it on an overnight get-away with my husband when the girls were 6 months old. I'd love for him to see me as the woman that he married and not just the tired mother of his triplets!


Last fall, I went to my first convention and I loved it! What a great way to celebrate the uniqueness that being a mother of multiples is. I'd love to be able to show off my new look to all of my MoM friends who have been so supportive to me throughout our first year. Without them, I wouldn't have made it. The story you just read was written as a testament to my life today. While it is hectic at times, I wouldn’t want it any different. I may not have my post-babies look back yet, but at least I have my sense of humor.


I can't think of anything that would be more fun than a makeover at convention. I'll even trade you my blue t-shirt for it!


They put together a book with the above text. Each page of the book had a picture of me wearing my blue t-shirt. I seriously lived in that shirt! Here is one of the pictures....

I posted this about 6 weeks ago here and said it was taken for a reason. Jennifer came over one day and took a bunch of pictures with me showing my busy life with the girls. lol....



I found out a couple of weeks before the convention that I won the makeover. I was so honored that they selected me. I had to keep it a secret though.

It was announced during the convention Saturday luncheon that I won. They read my story and showed all the pictures of me.......then CONFISCATED MY BLUE T-SHIRT......and then whisked me away to get my hair and make up done! (They really did keep the blue t-shirt too!)

Here is the before pic.......


Here is a pic of me getting my hair done in the hotel suite. (We had the curtains closed because the sun was REALLY bright that day.) That is the first time I've ever sat on a table to get my hair done though...hahahaha!


While I was getting my hair done, they were getting me nice and toasted up with Cosmopolitans. YUMMY! But because of that.... I was too focused on my drinks to take more pics! lol.....

The makeover was complete with a new outfit from Chicos. I got the blouse that is pictured and a nice pair of tailored black capri pants. I even wore some cute heels! They had me come out to the stage before the evening's event started. (My friends took pics of the big reveal, but I don't have those to post yet so these will have to do.)

Here I am with Christy after my big reveal. (She is on the NCA board and planned the convention...and selected me!) It was so wonderful to meet her!


Here I am with Claudine in my hotel room before we started partying it up. (And nope, no pictures of that. Us MoMs have a pact. What happens at convention, STAYS at convention. HAHA!)

It was such a wonderful weekend. I feel so blessed that having triplets has brought me to so many wonderful new friends. When I joined my multiples club 9 months ago, I didn't fully anticipate the close friendships I would be so blessed to have. I'm so proud to be a part of such a wonderful group of women!

3 comments:

  1. congrats! I'm glad you got a bit of pampering :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastically fun! :) Your hair looks great and I'm so glad you are making wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete