Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Random Thoughts

Morgan and Sophia are out of school for the summer. Rachel still has another week left.

So feeding therapy has been sucking lately. I was planning on quitting Rachel's current therapy, but then she decided to throw me a curve ball last Friday. After not making any progress for a long time, she decided to lick 5-6 new foods and then she took a bite out of string cheese. She promptly spit it out, but she took a BITE... with her TEETH!

Then on Sunday at Costco, she put a pretzel chip up to her mouth several times and talked about eating it. She also licked it. Today, she licked and kissed a strawberry.

I guess this means we will not be $100 per week richer. I've got to keep her in this therapy a little while longer to see if this leads to anything.

She was seen by a developmental pediatrician and behavior analyst (otherwise known as a BCBA) last week. Kaiser is offering a new type of feeding therapy now that we may try. We got the referral last week and I'm waiting for them to call me with more information. I have a lot of questions.

I'm trying not to freak out over her eating now that she's drinking Pediasure. It's still hard not to though. I fail at it most days.

Having a broken toe sucks. I had just gotten comfortable with taking the girls to the park by myself. Now I can't do it for at least another 5 weeks. I'm 3 weeks in to the 8 weeks that I'm supposed to wear this stupid blue shoe thing.

My toe still hurts too. It's really obnoxious that I broke my toe. I don't have time for injuries like this.

I feel so lazy not working out. I think that sometimes...I even actually moo. I've heard myself. Mooooooo... See!

You'd think the lack of working out would stop me from eating mexican food all the time.

Seriously... somebody stop me.

I'm kind of bummed that Rachel is going to a summer program at her school. I was hoping to relax a bit from our busy schedule this summer, but that's just not going to happen. I think we have a whole combined 3 weeks off before and after this summer program.

My broken toe kind of already put a damper on things anyway. I can't do as much on my own with the girls with this bum toe. Looking forward to the first week in July when I'm supposed to be able to start running again.

I got a lovely notice from Rachel's school last week. There was a case of hand foot and mouth disease in her classroom that she was exposed to.

Imagine my panic tonight when I noticed that the girls all have a few bumpy red rashes on their upper legs and behind their knees.

No fever though and the rashes do not look like the pictures online of the hand foot and mouth disease. They seem fine other than these rashes.

I'm not sure what this is yet. I sent them to bed tonight each with a dose of benedryl. Hope they are better tomorrow.

Speaking of bed time... We've had some significant improvement in the teeth brushing department. I have been reading a new (to me) feeding therapy book by an awesome feeding therapist (I wish I could hire her), Melanie Potock. In her book, she suggests singing a quick song while brushing teeth. This is so your child can expect when the activity will end. I started singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" while I brush the girls' teeth. When the song is over, you stop brushing no matter what. This has changed our lives!!! We are now able to do a much better job with getting the girls to cooperate and let us really get in their mouths. Even Rachel is letting the toothbrush in. I wish I would have started this months ago! I've even been able to add a little bit of the toddler practice toothpaste to their brushes. The amazing news... I've been using this toothpaste with Rachel for two nights in a row and she hasn't thrown up at all.

Seriously.. RACHEL is letting us not only brush her teeth now, but we are using a flavored toothpaste. THIS. IS. HUGE!!!!

I'm so proud of my girlies. I have the sweetest little girls and am so blessed to be their mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment