A couple of days ago, we had the girls' transition meeting with the school district. When they turn three, they are no longer eligible for the infant early intervention program. At that point, if they still need services, the school district takes over. I'm really thankful that they are eligible for either a preschool program and/or speech therapy services.
I've been a little emotional over the results of their assessments. I received copies of the reports, and even though I always prepare myself, it's never easy to see that your children have significant delays. Their perceptual/fine motor and cognition skills have improved and they are only about six months delayed in those areas. So that was good news (compared to last year).
It's the language skills area that we have the significant delays in. For "gestures and play," and their receptive and expressive language, Rachel "masters skills" at the 9-12 month level with scattered skills to the 24 month range. Morgan "masters skills" in the 15-18 month range with scattered skills to the 24 month range. Sophia "masters skills" in the 18-21 month range but also has scattered skills up to 30 months. Although, I think if retested now, Sophia would score much higher. Her speech and ability to understand has improved so much. It's a huge difference from where she was just one month ago when their assessments were completed.
Based on the assessments now, the school district determines what programs they would qualify for if the decision had to be made today. This is just something they go over with the parents to give them an idea of what is available. The final decision on placement isn't done until they turn 3. So based on what we know right now, Rachel will most likely be in a preschool program that is Monday-Thursday in the afternoons for two hours. Morgan is borderline and could either do the same program as Rachel or a two day a week speech program in a preschool setting. Sophia will likely not need to be in the preschool program and will just need speech therapy once or twice a week. I'm kind of stressed out over them possibly being in three different programs. My hope is that either Sophia and Morgan would be in the same program or that Morgan and Rachel will. We know Sophia won't be in Rachel's class. I asked them if they ever take into consideration that they are triplets and I can't be running them all over town like that. They said they each have their own IEP and their own goals so it's important to work it out. So if they need different programs, there isn't anything I can really change about it. I know it's best for them so I'm not going to cause a stink over it. I'll work it out if/when I need to.
If Sophia isn't in a preschool program and just needs speech therapy, then Bob and I will find her a preschool to go to when she is 3 1/2. She will need something structured since if she doesn't qualify for the school district's program, it will be by just a hair. So it's important that she still be in some sort of program so she can keep moving forward. Oh and did I mention that the school district's preschool is just like public school so it's not going to cost us anything other than our taxes.
Just processing all of this information has been overwhelming. I was a little irked by the representative from the school district. She had to tell me, more than once, that this is the first set of triplets she's had where all three of them were in early intervention services. What the hell was I supposed to say to that? I know she didn't mean any harm by it, but I have a hard enough time with this situation. I didn't need that pointed out to me.
It will be interesting to see where they are placed. Of course all of this depends on their psych evaluations that will test for autism. I don't think any of them are on the spectrum, but I've also learned to never say never. I've been reading the book, "Just Take a Bite." It's a guide for parents of children who have severe food issues or aversions. The book is basically describing Rachel. Unfortunately, the book focuses on children with autism, aspergers, or PDD-NOS. So there are a lot of things about Rachel that points to being on the spectrum, but then there are also a lot of things that are opposite from it. All three girls show some signs, and that is why we are doing the testing. We need a final answer on it.
Don't get me wrong. I am very happy that they are going to receive continued services. I know it's best for them. I'm nervous about leaving them in a new classroom that they are unfamiliar with. They've never been anywhere without me. They will also possibly be separated. Morgan doesn't like to be separated from the pack. She's so sweet and always makes sure all "babies" are accounted for. Our OT suggested to start to practice leaving them at my mom's or a friend's house. We'll start there and work up to leaving them one at a time. It'll probably be harder on me than it is for them.
I can't believe that in just four short months, my girls will be three years old and possibly in preschool. I'm just not ready for that. In my eyes, they are still my little babies!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Isn't it amazing that preschool just like that sneaks up on us? I have a 3 year old as well and I can't believe she's in preschool. I would also agree with you about leaving them with others and eventually leaving them one at a time. My DD is having trouble adjusting without me and her sister (even though they are not twins) at Preschool so it's been a little challenging the past couple of weeks.
ReplyDeleteI am sure that the school district will be fine with continuing the rec. services from now on. Good luck with everything....
Thank you.
ReplyDelete