Saturday, November 7, 2009

Yes, we have conventions!

I recently returned from my first "Mother's of Multiples" convention. Yes people, we have conventions. At first I really didn't understand why in the world moms of multiples would need a convention. I just signed up for it because some friends in my local club talked me into it. But after going, I realized it's for the same reasons that we join our local multiples club in the first place. We need to support each other and learn from one another. Being a mom to multiples is just a different experience! Also, it is a great excuse for a weekend get-a-way.

I had such a great time. I have to admit that part of the reason I went was just so that I could get a full night of sleep!!!! If you know the real me, then you know I am not the type that goes out of my way to meet new people. I have always been a little on the shy side. (I know...unless you know me...because then I never shut up.) Anyway, doing something like this is usually NOT within my comfort zone. I have to admit that I'm proud of myself for going.

I made sure to reserve my own hotel room. It was possible to get a roommate, but I really wanted to have some ME time and make sure that I got some really good sleep with no interuptions. When I arrived at the hotel, I let them know I was there for the convention and that I have 9 month old triplets and can't wait to get some good sleep. So the clerk smiled and then clicked and typed away on his computer and then said.... "I've upgraded you to a mini-suite. You'll get plenty of rest there!" (SCORE!!!!) I was so thankful and totally excited. When I went up to my room and saw how nice and big it was, I was so excited! I had a living room with a couch and lounge chair....and a GIANT king size bed all just for ME!

When some friends of mine called me to tell me they arrived, I told them about my sweet room and my free upgrade. We had planned on making drinks in their room after the Friday night activities, but instead we decided to move the festivities to my super cool suite! They were in my room within 15 minutes. lol....

The Friday night activity was a lot of fun! I must admit that we drank many appletini's so that made it even more fun. A few of us ended up in my room until just after midnight.... But I still got great sleep! The Saturday morning stuff started at 8am, but I decided I would skip the breakfast stuff and sleep in. It was soooooooo wonderful to sleep so long. I ended up falling asleep around 1am and slept until 7am. I woke up thinking it was time to feed the girls, and then I quickly remembered that I didn't have to do that, so I went right back to sleep until almost 10am! I have to admit that even though I slept so good, I wished I could sleep all day!

I got downstairs in time for the luncheon, which was really nice. We had a keynote speaker that I enjoyed. The afternoon seminars were a little....um... not something I was that interested in, but I still learned a lot anyway.

Overall, it was so nice to be able to get away and have some time for myself. I have to admit that as soon as I woke up Saturday morning, I missed my babies and wished I was home with them. After lunch, I couldn't wait to leave because I wanted to be with them. Maybe that's why I didn't enjoy the afternoon seminars as much.

I couldn't stay the full weekend because I'm just not ready to be away from the girls that long yet. As soon as the seminars were over, I was so outta there! I was practically in tears pulling in the driveway when I arrived home. I couldn't wait to see my sweet babies. I walked in the door and was greeted by three little girlies who missed their mommy. They were climbing all over me and I loved every second of it. I only had 30 minutes to spend with them before bedtime. It was the one night that I really didn't want them to go to sleep because I just wanted to spend more time snuggling.

As much as I missed the girls, having the time for myself was very refreshing. I'm so excited to be making new friends and meeting other moms who know what having multiples is like. I can't wait for the next convention. I've already got it marked on the calendar! Next time, I hope I can stay for the whole weekend!

Oh and I forgot to update about Rachel...although for those of you who get my Facebook updates.... you already know that Rachel is better now. She didn't have any infection and was back to her normal self by Tuesday of this past week. Sophia and Morgan have been lucky enough to NOT come down with whatever it was that Rachel had. I am very thankful my babies are all healthy!

2 comments:

  1. so glad you went and had a great time! woohoo for the upgrade too.

    absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is neat...that you got to get away (even for a short time) and SLEEP and share with other multiple Mommies! It's such a pick-me-up...one that I know you are well derserving of. :)

    ReplyDelete