Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The good news post

Last week was rough. Really rough. My worry for Rachel and her eating issues are a little better now, but we're not out of the woods yet. We won't be for quite some time. After a lot of heart to hearts with her therapy team, including her feeding therapist that she most recently had, we decided to put her in "Sequential Oral Sensory" (SOS) feeding therapy. 

We've actually been discussing this type of therapy for a while. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, there was an SOS training seminar and conference in the bay area that I wanted to go to. Her OT was not able to attend, and since our services will end on the girls' 3rd birthday, our OT wanted me to get training in this feeding therapy technique. However, we found out that they would not allow non-professionals (aka parents that aren't therapists) to attend this conference. I was really bummed. 

When her food strike happened, I panicked. She was barely getting 300-500 calories per day, and that included her milk intake. What mother wouldn't be worried? I started researching every option available. I was willing to travel and pay anything just to find her some help. I talked with the Star Center in Colorado. I also consulted Los Altos Feeding Clinic. Both seemed like good options. The biggest issue with those two places was that we would need to spend weeks away from home. As a mother of triplets, that just wouldn't work. Then I got a referral from a friend of a friend to an SOS feeding therapy center right here in our area. Our most recent feeding therapist, Stephanie, agreed this would be a great place for Rachel. I wish I could still use Stephanie, but we all feel like it's best for Rachel to have the therapy outside of home and with me not in the room. During the time we were working with Stephanie, it was all in our home with distractions (aka triplets). Also, we both feel that Rach was just not ready for feeding therapy when we did it. Her speech, both receptive and expressive, are greatly improved now. I am certain we are ready for this fresh start. She is so interested in food, but you can see the fear in her eyes. It breaks my heart for her. I look forward to seeing her happy little face around food. 

She had her first session Friday afternoon with Julie, her new therapist. It went pretty well. I have to admit I walked into the office as a complete skeptic. We've been through so much with this issue. I just thought it would go the same as it always has. I was pleasantly surprised. Julie is amazing. She starts with a sensory warm up and then slowly gets her ready for the transition into the feeding room. Once in the feeding room, Mommy says bye bye and see you in a little while. Then I go to another room and watch. I can see and hear everything that is going on, but Rachel cannot see me. What impressed me was Julie's ability to stay completely calm and flat during the meltdowns. And yes, there were a few of them. The difference was that Julie was able to keep Rachel's interest and bring her back. Usually, we had to end a session when the meltdowns got out of control. 

SOS therapy is meant for children with Sensory Processing Disorder. I think we're in the right place. Rachel was all smiles and still happy to play with Julie even after the hard part (being presented with a new food) was over.  I left the appointment feeling happy and very optimistic about making progress. I'm told that it's going to take 4-6 months to see some good progress and about a year for her to fully recover from her food anxiety. I'm really happy to have a fresh start at this process. I'm not happy about how expensive it is, but we are making it work because our daughter's health depends on it! 

We are feeling all of your prayers! I have received so many emails in the past week from my friends and family telling me they are praying for us. We are also on the prayer lists at four churches. We are blessed with so many prayer warriors, and I am so grateful. 

Rachel is eating just one 6 ounce jar of strawberry banana baby food per day. The rest of her diet consists of organic animal crackers, bbq baked lays, and gerber yogurt melts. She also drinks about 20 ounces of milk per day and a couple of cups of juice. Sometimes I can even get her to drink vegetable juice. 

Also, she has made a giant leap forward by drinking out of a straw. This may seem like a small accomplishment to some, but for her THIS IS HUGE! Just allowing a straw into her mouth took so much practice and courage. You can see that she wasn't quite comfortable at first, but now she is mastering it. 

 

I bought some fruit smoothies tonight that are not very thick. I'm going to see if I can get her to drink it tomorrow. I'm hoping she will because then I could sneak much needed nutrition into a smoothie. 

So thank you everyone for your prayers and support. It's not always the easiest thing to let go of the worry and trust that God will take care of you. I know He will. He has certainly heard all of our prayers and has lead us in the right direction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment