Bob ended up working from home yesterday so that I could go see my doctor. I figured it was probably time to get on some type of preventative medication. I was lucky enough to call first thing in the morning and get a same day appointment.
After sitting in the waiting room for 30 minutes past my appointment time, I finally got called back. I had to wait an additional 15 minutes once I was in the exam room. It was so irritating. My doctor was over an hour late to my appointment a few weeks ago.
She finally walks in and says, "I haven't seen you for so long. How are you doing?" I thought to myself... funny since you just saw me three weeks ago when I was having issues with my ankles. Anyway, she asked why I was in to see her. I told her, and without even asking me any questions she said, "it sounds like you are having panic attacks."
Um, excuse me?
She didn't ask me one single question and just assumed panic attacks. What the heck? I said, "um no. No panic attacks here."
So then she says it must be stress. Why do they always assume it's mental? She asked how my job was going and if I was overwhelmed with work. Yeah, we talked three weeks ago about how I am a stay at home mom to triplets and do not work outside the home. Then she acted all surprised that I have triplets even though we had a whole conversation about it last time.
Okay, let me just say that I don't expect her to remember every single patient and their whole life story. But perhaps she can um, I don't know, actually READ my chart before coming in and making all these ridiculous assumptions.
I do admit to being super stressed lately. Rachel's food issues have really upset me. Sometimes, I'm just fine with it and I know she will grow out of it. Other days, I just feel like she's never going to eat anything other than baby food. Also, I've said it before... The girls are at a stage that they need a lot of attention. I'm constantly playing with them or telling them not to eat books or to stop pushing each other off of me when they want me. I'm working with them on sign language and learning words. We're playing patty cake. I'm super busy.
I've also been solo with the girls most days of the week lately. I get so sad that I can't get them out to the park more often or just on outings that allow them to actually get out of the stroller. I'm letting the stress get to me. It's hard not to.
So yes, I will say that the added stress could be the cause of the asthma attacks. It could also be because the air isn't so good where I live. Or... OR.. because I'm eating everything in sight and am at my heaviest weight other than while pregnant. Stress eater anyone?
So after my almost pointless appointment (well not totally pointless since now I will be finding myself a new doctor that reads charts), I was sent on my way with a prescription for a shiny new inhalor that is supposed to help prevent attacks. Boy did I get sticker shock when I picked it up. For a six week supply of the preventative inhalor and a new rescue inhalor, (my other one was expired and that's why it didn't work very well...whoopsie!), it cost me $80. $10 was the rescue inhalor and the other $70 was for the preventative that turns out....is NOT covered by my insurance.
Nice!
There's a new $80 bill every six weeks that we can add to our budget now.
How's that for a panic attack?


Hello! I'm good friends with Donna and I found your blog through hers. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I totally understand the food issues. My son is 15 months old and he has had trouble with solids from the start. His main problem is that he doesn't chew or "gum" the food enough and when he tries to swallow it, it get stucks and ultimately he ends up gagging and vomiting, which scares me to DEATH. So, I still have him eating baby food along with the solids he's mastered at every meal. Sometimes, at the store, I feel lame still buying baby food for my toddler, but you've got to do what your child needs. All my friends with toddlers are giving their children huge bites of food and mine still needs very small bits and that makes me feel like I'm not doing a good job as a mom sometimes, but I want to reassure you (and myself) that we're doing the right thing for our kids. Also, perhaps you've tried it, but if not, I recommend cottage cheese. Raley's sells a good organic one that is small curd and then I use a fork to mash it up even smaller. My son loves it and it's chock full of protein and some fat, so I feel really good about his eating as much of it as he wants. And if you mash it up enough, it's similiar to the texture of baby food. Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you. And maybe I'll see you at Sarah's party that Donna is having up here this Fall!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much. It does feel like I'm not doing the right thing, even though I know in my heart I'm doing what is best for her. Also, thanks for the idea of the cottage cheese. I've bought it before and it seemed to thick for her so I didn't want to torture her with it. I will look for the smaller curd one. And yep, I'll be at the birthday bash!!! Look forward to meeting you.
ReplyDeleteOh and I got comments from someone yesterday at Target for buying baby food once she found out my girls were 18 months old. It took everything I had not to go off on her. lol...
ReplyDeleteMaybe you could add some milk to the mashed up cottage cheese to make it less thick? I was just trying to think of ways to get more calories in her if that is what the Doctor is concerned about. But, you got it right when you said, you know you're doing the right thing. Yes, they are Doctors but they aren't the MOM. As for that "snatch" at Target, I often feel inadequate enough on my own, I don't need someone else making me feel that way. People need to learn to mind their own business. You know, at the risk of sounding like a total weirdo which I assure you I am not, I think I saw you at Walmart a few months ago, sans girls. I've been following your blog since you got pregnant and I was like, "why does that lady look so familiar to me?" I nudged my husband and was explaining how I "knew" you and he was like, "do not go over there, you will only look like a psycho." Anyway, yes, I look forward to meeting you (and your girls) officially in a non-psycho manner at the party. :)
ReplyDeleteHow did I miss your last comment on here? lol.. That's too funny about seeing me at Walmart. Man, I am there all the time!!! See ya in about a month.
ReplyDelete