Thursday, August 12, 2010

Rachel is having minor surgery

Rachel has a spot on her ankle. I noticed it a couple of months ago. One of her favorite things to do is to fill a plastic bowl up with toys, mostly little plastic shapes and blocks, and then she kicks it like crazy until the bowl is empty. She will then refill the bowl and do this over and over again. When I first noticed this spot, I thought it was an injury from kicking the bowl so hard. It's like a little blood cyst.

After a couple of weeks when it didn't go away, I took her to her pediatrician. He diagnosed it as a pyogenic granuloma. He decided to try and "burn" the spot off, but advised me that it doesn't always work. He used liquid nitrate. The spot looked like it was going to go away, but then it came right back. We got a referral to a dermatologist to see if he could cut it out.

We saw the dermatologist this past Monday. It's not a pygenic granuloma. He said it is likely a benign tumor. When he said the word "tumor," I think I just froze. Tumor certainly isn't' a word you want to hear about your baby. He's pretty sure that it's just a benign growth. She's having minor surgery on Monday to have it removed. He'll then send it to the lab for a biopsy to be certain that everything is okay. He didn't give us a certain name of this spot. I think he said four or five medical terms as to what it could be. I don't remember any of them because I was still focused on the fact that he said the word tumor. He didn't elaborate on anything. He just said that we'll wait and get the biopsy results, although he believes there is nothing to worry about.

I'm a mom. Rachel is my baby girl. Of course I'm worried. I'm trying hard not to focus on it, but am failing miserably. I have way too many thoughts going through my head. I just have to surrender to God and ask Him to help us get through this.

So we go in on Monday. She will have a shot to numb the area and then we'll wait an hour before they start the procedure. I get to be in the room with her the whole time. She'll be awake for it. It should take about 5 minutes.

I'm just so sad she has to go through this. It breaks my heart.

Is it Monday yet? I'm ready for this to be over with!

1 comment:

  1. Your last couple of posts show such a heavy heart. Saying a prayer for you, friend. God continues to hold you and Rachel in His hands. And to think He loves her more than you ever could...

    ReplyDelete