Rachel had her surgery last week. I'm so relieved that it's over and that the tumor is off of my baby. Her pediatric surgeon really is in the right profession. He is so amazing with her. We had to check in at the hospital at 8:40am. The surgery wasn't until a couple of hours later so we had to entertain our hungry almost two year old while we waited. She actually did pretty good for not being aloud to have anything to eat or drink that morning. One of the nurses brought us a tv that had a built in vcr. The only tape they had that I thought she'd actually watch was the Teletubbies. Much to my horror, she LOVED them. Since they are no longer on tv here and I'm not going to be buying any Teletubby dvds, you can bet that she won't be watching that show again. hehehe....
When it was time to get her ready for surgery, a nurse and Bob had to hold my poor baby down to get her to drink some tylenol with a sedative in it. It was really hard to watch. We all know Rachel has issues with eating and drinking almost everything so she had to be given this medication a special way so that she couldn't spit it out. It was awful. However, it kicked in pretty quick and she was almost immediately loopy. It was then time for kisses and hugs and they took her away to the operating room. Oh how I wished I could go with her. I think by that point, she was under the medication pretty good and didn't really know she was being taken away from Mommy anyway. You know I cried though!
She was supposed to be back there for 45 minutes. So when 45 minutes turned into 60 minutes, I was trying not to freak out. Bob and I sat in the waiting room just kind of staring at the walls and tapping our feet with impatience. Dr. D finally came out and brought us back to see our sweet Rachel. She was sound asleep with an oxygen mask over her face. I know it was all normal but I started to shed some tears seeing her like that.
The drama started within seconds of her waking up. She woke up about 20 minutes before they expected her to. We were told that some people metabolize the anesthesia faster than others and will wake up while they are still under the drugs. She started screaming and was completely inconsolable for about 20 minutes. The nurse had to hold her foot to protect her from hurting it because she was thrashing her arms and legs. They even had to tape her IV up because she was trying to rip it out. I was holding her and she didn't even recognize me. It was heart breaking. They ended up having to put her back to sleep. It freaked me out though because once the nurse gave her the sleepy drugs, her body went limp in my arms and I could feel that her chest wasn't moving. She was only taking a breath about every 10 seconds. The nurse assured me that it was normal and her breathing improved once they put the oxygen back on her.
She slept for maybe 5-10 more minutes. When she woke up the second time, she was as happy as could be and just snuggled with me while she drank some juice. She was so precious. I was so proud of her. After about an hour, she was being released and we were on our way home.
When we got home, Rachel and I snuggled in our bed and watched a little Barney. Then we both fell asleep. That evening, you wouldn't even have known that she had surgery that day. She was walking around just fine and was in a happy mood. She's been doing great ever since!
We do have to go back next Thursday to have her stitches removed. She has a cute little pink and purple bandage protecting the incision. We've been keeping her in zipper/footie pjs all week to keep her from playing with the bandage.
I snapped a cute picture of her after changing her diaper and before getting her dressed again. You can see her sporting the cute bandage. I'm so proud of how well she has done. I was so worried this surgery would set her back, but she's done just fine!
When it was time to get her ready for surgery, a nurse and Bob had to hold my poor baby down to get her to drink some tylenol with a sedative in it. It was really hard to watch. We all know Rachel has issues with eating and drinking almost everything so she had to be given this medication a special way so that she couldn't spit it out. It was awful. However, it kicked in pretty quick and she was almost immediately loopy. It was then time for kisses and hugs and they took her away to the operating room. Oh how I wished I could go with her. I think by that point, she was under the medication pretty good and didn't really know she was being taken away from Mommy anyway. You know I cried though!
She was supposed to be back there for 45 minutes. So when 45 minutes turned into 60 minutes, I was trying not to freak out. Bob and I sat in the waiting room just kind of staring at the walls and tapping our feet with impatience. Dr. D finally came out and brought us back to see our sweet Rachel. She was sound asleep with an oxygen mask over her face. I know it was all normal but I started to shed some tears seeing her like that.
The drama started within seconds of her waking up. She woke up about 20 minutes before they expected her to. We were told that some people metabolize the anesthesia faster than others and will wake up while they are still under the drugs. She started screaming and was completely inconsolable for about 20 minutes. The nurse had to hold her foot to protect her from hurting it because she was thrashing her arms and legs. They even had to tape her IV up because she was trying to rip it out. I was holding her and she didn't even recognize me. It was heart breaking. They ended up having to put her back to sleep. It freaked me out though because once the nurse gave her the sleepy drugs, her body went limp in my arms and I could feel that her chest wasn't moving. She was only taking a breath about every 10 seconds. The nurse assured me that it was normal and her breathing improved once they put the oxygen back on her.
She slept for maybe 5-10 more minutes. When she woke up the second time, she was as happy as could be and just snuggled with me while she drank some juice. She was so precious. I was so proud of her. After about an hour, she was being released and we were on our way home.
When we got home, Rachel and I snuggled in our bed and watched a little Barney. Then we both fell asleep. That evening, you wouldn't even have known that she had surgery that day. She was walking around just fine and was in a happy mood. She's been doing great ever since!
We do have to go back next Thursday to have her stitches removed. She has a cute little pink and purple bandage protecting the incision. We've been keeping her in zipper/footie pjs all week to keep her from playing with the bandage.
I snapped a cute picture of her after changing her diaper and before getting her dressed again. You can see her sporting the cute bandage. I'm so proud of how well she has done. I was so worried this surgery would set her back, but she's done just fine!
Our next step is to wait about another week for the biopsy results. Dr. D is still 99.9999% sure that it will be benign just like last time. I'll feel a lot better once I know for sure!!!!



Hug herrrr (them!) for me. I'm so glad everything went well, except for the whole waking up bit. :) Love you.
ReplyDelete